Subject: Re: Kernel Config for 100 Megs of RAM
To: None <epsilon@yandros.dataex.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/08/1996 11:08:19
>Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 18:45:02 -0500
>From: Chad Lewis <epsilon@yandros.dataex.com>

>   I am running NetBSD on the i386 port and trying to get the kernel to
>recognize 97 Megabytes of ram, however the kernel only reports:
>
>real mem = 67698688
>avail mem = 61501440
>
>If someone knows the parameter or define setting to change in the kernel
>source that will allow it to accept the increased RAM please let me know.

The PC BIOS was designed at a time when > 64MB of memory was
inconceivable.  NetBSD gets the memory size from the BIOS, so machines
with more than 64MB use only the first 64MB.

-current (aka 1.2BETA) has the EXTMEM_SIZE option for this.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>