Subject: Re: kern/exec_elf.c VS arch/mips/mips/elf.c
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@ensta.fr>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/14/1996 08:30:10
On Fri, 14 Jun 1996 15:18:44 +0200 (MET DST)
 Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@ensta.fr> wrote:

 > I've a question about elf stuffs in the kernel.
 > I'm running for 2 weeks Per Fogelstrom's shared libraries, and
 > a full set of dynamically linked binaries (including X clients) on
 > my decstation 5000/200 (pmax-port). This required some changes to
 > mips/mips/elf.c. Basically, I took OpenBSD's pica/pica/exec_elf.c, and cp'ed
 > it to mips/mips/elf.c with very fiew changes. This allow my to run old
 > binaries as weel as the new, dynamic binaries. As the system seems really
 > stable now, I'm about to send a PR for this.

Cool ..

 > Now the OpenBSD team merged pica/pica/exec_elf.c into kern/exec_elf.c, and
 > removed the first. What should I do ? send a PR for my current changes,
 > or try to use the MI exec_elf.c before sending it to NetBSD ? Note that
 > I can do the first monday, but I may not be able to do the last before
 > a 2 or 3 weeks.

Well, an incremental change is OK, IMO.  Since we already have a MIPS ELF
exec module, enchancing it is acceptable, in my book, as long as it can
eventually be merged into MI code.

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --