Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: None <pk@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/29/1996 19:53:02
In a commit message, Paul Kranenburg said:
> A configuration file for devices found on Sun machines.
> Currently holds just `event.c' which should actually be considered
> a candidate for `sys/dev'.

I'd say that it shouldn't.

Rather, i'd suggest that the ports that use it examine why they're
using it, and change it so that it actually fits their hardware.
In general, people have grabbed this file because it's the shortest
path to working code, not necessarily the 'right' path.  That's
certainly what I did on the Alpha, and i've been changing + trimming
as appropriate and as time permits, since.

If we want to have a single frame buffer/event interface for all
ports, that'd be great.  However, it's not at all clear to me that the
'event' mechanism (which was really implemented to be only minimally
SunOS-compatible, in the first place) is the right place to start on
that, especially since it includes things like the "VUID?FORMAT"
ioctls which don't even have real meaning under NetBSD.

cgd