Subject: Re: ifconfig or ??
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/28/1996 17:42:56
Hi,

Matt Thomas wrote:
[...]
> ifconfig de0 media 10baset
>
> would be nice.  So would having flags for full-duplex and other things.
> (disabling autonegotiation, etc.)
[...]
> One could expand ifconfig.  One could also put these thing under sysctl.
> Both have advantages and I don't have much of preference.

I vote for the extension of ifconfig, as this is more intuitive for the
users. I think this link1 link2 stuff should be deprecated and only be
kept for compatibility. It makes more sense to give the options real names
and make one program deal with all options that can be set, rather the
remembering two or even more programs to handle part of the configuration
stuff.

Just my 0.02$

  Guenther