Subject: Re: Swap beginning with cylinder 0
To: Bill Studenmund <>
From: Peter Galbavy <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/23/1996 09:00:54
> I like the idea, but on things like a ccd, if I understand it, it
> (the ccd) already had to be skipping the boot area, no?

Hence I guess the hand off to the driver. The ccd driver would intercept
the ioctl and DTRT (like ignore it). ? I hope ?

> I think this idea is good for more than just swap; filesystems
> on the a partition could be told exactly how much to skip too
> (a question for fs creation).

Agreed. Then there would be no magic incantations to remember on a per
port, per disk type, per usage basis.

ccd's confuse me, and if they also did this ioctl when join disks
together, then no problem with joinging the 'c' partitions :)

Peter Galbavy
@ Home                                                 phone://44/973/499465
in Wonderland