Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/16/1996 12:36:15
[ Moved to tech-kern ]

On Thu, 16 May 1996 09:44:59 -0700
 "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org> wrote:

 > Then there should be a discussion now that NetBSD has chosen to add the
 > same functionality so that the interfaces in queue.h are the same in
 > both OSes.

Actually, I would personally have been happier to see just use of TAILQ
in the case we're talking about, but FreeBSD added, IMO, unnecssary
complexity to queue.h by adding singly-linked versions of LIST and TAILQ.

 > I for one would not be satisfied with SIMPLEQ since it doesn't provide
 > as much information about the Q type as STAILQ and SLIST do, but
 > the main issue I raise here is that the two OSes shouldn't be gratutously
 > different and we should take what seem like simple steps to ensure that
 > they aren't. (Especially for interfaces exported to userland)

I can count at least a few interfaces that were added to FreeBSD that
were added without discussion on a NetBSD list.  One gratuitously ignores
a standard.  One interface pops to mind that was modified.  The
"gratuitous" argument can be made there too.

Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

So, why don't we all just stop worrying about silly linked-list macros,
and get on with real work.  This whole thread is (on this, and other
lists) is really annoying.  I'm busy enough with Real Job and release
cycle that I don't want worry about it, and have too much mail to read as
it is.

----save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/----