Subject: Re: Quick Q's about 4.4 vs 4.3, fs code
To: None <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: John S. Dyson <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/14/1996 18:04:24

> > Also, if I ported ext2fs filesystem driver (that's a big if) from FreeBSD,
> > it would not go in the development tree because it is GPLed, right?
> >
> Most of the code should have the Berkeley copyright.  We (Utah, origin of
> the ext2fs port) would be perfectly happy if the GPLed code were rewritten.
> Godmar just didn't have time to do that.

He did an excellent job on the port to BSD, and we only had to make a few
changes for FreeBSD.  I suspect that the original code would be closer to what
Net/Open BSD needs than the FreeBSD version, however, you might want to
look at the FreeBSD version for reference.

We still have two significant bugs that I know of in our port.  One is that
we dont sync EXT2FS properly on shutdown, and additionally there is a problem
under loading.  I will probably get time to fix it VERY SOON, if you start
working on it soon (to lend a hand, and to get the FreeBSD version fixed.)

If you want, just let me know...

John
dyson@freebsd.org