Subject: Re: SMP (was Re: VXLOCK race? )
To: James MacKinnon <jmack@Phys.UAlberta.Ca>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/10/1996 22:48:17
>> >[...]

>> >is anybody actively working on this (SMP)?
>> >I've made my mind up and will buy the new board from ASUS P55T2P4D which
>> >features two Pentium processors as soon as I can get hold of one here in
>> >Germany.
>> [...]
>> >Any takers to join my effort?

>> You should talk to the FreeBSD people.  Evidentaly, they've been
>> working on this for several months, already, and have an alpha SMP
>> kernel that runs.

>Don't forget Linux either :-)

I don't see how that would be at all useful.  At least the FreeBSD
kernel resembles NetBSD in 95% of the code.

It might be good for some ideas, in the same way that SCO SMP and
Solaris might be good for some ideas, but for actually borrowing code,
and finding out which parts of the kernel source need protecting, it
would be mostly useless.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.