Subject: SMP (was Re: VXLOCK race? )
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/10/1996 19:19:04
Hi,

> in the kernel at once in NetBSD (at least until SMP stuff gets worked on :)
[...]
> When SMP arrives, it'll have to put locks around manipulations such as
> this and/or recast them in a more MP-friendly paradigm.

is anybody actively working on this (SMP)?

I've made my mind up and will buy the new board from ASUS P55T2P4D which
features two Pentium processors as soon as I can get hold of one here in
Germany.
Problem is, I don't know anything about Intel-assembler and what is needed
to control and synchronize the actions between the processors but this shouldn't be
too hard to find out (with a little help from you out there maybe:-).

I figure quite a lot of code out there is dependent on the fact that only
one process can be executing inside the kernel at one time (like the
VXLOCK example). I don't think that I could work out all of this on my own,
(well I think I can, but I'm sure it will take ages :-) so is there
anybody out there willing to participate in SMP development? I'd really like
to get this into the kernel for the release after the next one, probably
together with a revamped buffer and file cache system, which would make
NetBSD a superior operating system :-)

Any takers to join my effort?

  Guenther