Subject: Re: sd: MEDIA_LOADED not reset on last close?
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/05/1996 13:09:35

> Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl> writes:
>

> > I was wondering if there is a good reason why the sdclose function does not
> > reset the SDEV_MEDIA_LOADED flag on the last close on the device.
>
> Because it shouldn't be necessary, it would largely defeat the point
> of the flags, and it would take longer to open the device a second
> time.  Arguably, these are minor points.
I considered the open delay indeed. But the situation happens very infrequent.
If these are the only points against it, I would propose to reset the
SDEV_MEDIA_LOADED flag on the last close. It seems intuitively right.

> > _After_
> > modifying the native paritioning, it is essential to re-read the disklabel
> > from disk.
>
> Or you could do a DIOCSDLABEL to change the in-core label.
No in this case this won't work - unless I copy in the kernel code to fake
the NetBSD labels. The installer tool meddles with the native Atari format,
possibly (likely) changing the ordering of the partitions.
The most clean way was having the kernel re-read the native partitioning.
An alternative would be an ioctl that forces a kernel re-read of the
disklabel.

Leo.