Subject: sd: MEDIA_LOADED not reset on last close?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/04/1996 23:33:36
I was wondering if there is a good reason why the sdclose function does not
reset the SDEV_MEDIA_LOADED flag on the last close on the device. The unwanted
(at least for me) side effect is that the disklabel will only be read on
the first open.
This is not really a problem when the disk allows for a writable NetBSD
disklabel but it is for disks containing some 'native' partitioning (AHDI
on the atari). In this case the atari kernel fakes a read-only label. To ease
the installation process, I am working on a small tool to modify the native
partitioning. This would allow you to assign partions to NetBSD from within
the installer (instead of having to do this in the native OS). _After_
modifying the native paritioning, it is essential to re-read the disklabel
from disk.

Leo.