Subject: Re: status of PPP compression?
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/11/1996 18:41:42
>>>>> "matthew" == matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> writes:

matthew> not to be a party pooper or anything, but, that sounds like a
matthew> wide open invitation to kernel megabloat...

matthew> i don't believe that compression should be in the kernel at
matthew> all (except, _maybe_ for the decompressor part, maybe).  too
matthew> many things get thrown in the kernel that, IMO, should be in
matthew> userland.  unfortunately, our current ppp implimentation
matthew> makes this really hard.

	Then again, I've thought designs that put both networking and
filesystems in userland have large advantages, but that is not BSD.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |