Subject: Re: Overriding the path for init
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/10/1996 21:09:42
> Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 20:55:55 -0400
> From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
>
> > I'd like to be able to change the value in initpaths[0] from
> > machine-dependent code.  Attached are some simple changes to
> > allow this.  Does this look like an OK way to do it?
>
> I suppose my question is best stated as:
>
> 	Why do you want to do this?

This allows me to boot using an experimental version if init.
For example, let's say I create a new version of init and I'm
not yet sure I'v got it working the way I want, I can boot with:
	b sd()netbsd /sbin/init.new
on the sun3 and it will use the experimental one.

> (I can think of two reasons, offhand... and only one of them is a
> 'good one' to support this functionality...  8-)
>
> I don't particularly feel comfortable with the 'initpaths' array being
> 'silently' exported as an interface to the machine-dependent code...
> It's just sort of ... hack-ish.

Yeah, it's "hack-ish" for sure, but I invited people to suggest
a better way, didn't I?

Gordon