Subject: Re: Overriding the path for init
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/10/1996 21:19:25
> > 	Why do you want to do this?
>
> This allows me to boot using an experimental version if init.
> For example, let's say I create a new version of init and I'm
> not yet sure I'v got it working the way I want, I can boot with:
> 	b sd()netbsd /sbin/init.new
> on the sun3 and it will use the experimental one.

I think i'd rather see support for asking which 'init' to use coded
well (perhaps in init_main.c...), than see support for
machine-dependent hacks to support passing init's name as a boot
argument, unless there's a good reason to do the latter.

In my opinion, any time you're booting with an alternate init, you're
recovering your system or you're testing a new init...  and in either
case, you can boot with a special flag, and type it in at a prompt...

Is that too odious?

cgd