Subject: Re: Dial-in and Dial-out tty's
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/10/1996 13:01:52

> >As I said before, I'm willing (planning) to add these changes to the
> >new zs driver for the mac68k port this week, but would appreciate
> >suggestions on the method. Also, I'd like to dove-tail my efforts with
> >the other ports. :-)
>
> I think it might be a good idea to write a generic call-in, call-out layer
> (maybe merge it into the tty system?) so that every serial port device
> could have this feature with little or no modifications.  Admittedly, it
> would be a lot harder than just modifying the zs driver, but it would be
> a lot cooler :-)

I thought about something like that, but the problem is (as I see it)
that we have to play games with the code in each device's open
routine which waits for the carrier. Basically, the dial-in has
to keep on waiting if the dial-out has opened the port (even though
carrier might actually be present). So we can't not touch the tty
driver.

Though it would be nice to push parts of the dialin-dialout suport
into the tty layer (like add a variable to hold the semaphores
to coordinate the two sides).

Take care,

Bill