Subject: Dial-in and Dial-out tty's
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/10/1996 14:43:19
	[proposal for dial-in dial-out ttys deleted]

	While it strikes me that the two-tty method of dial-in-out is
used because it is more secure, I have managed a number of uucp feeds
(and dial-in access for myself) with the 'faxgetty' from hylafax.
It's quite a bit of extra complexity for those who don't want fax, but
I believe that there is also a 'uugetty' around to do the same thing.

	This all hinges on program obeying the uucp lock file
protocol.  Malicious people obviously wouldn't.  I remember on the
Amiga having a device locking library to arbitrate dial-in-out.  This
solution strikes me as a better and more general one.  To be secure,
you'd need to couple this with the device, but that shouldn't be an
unsolvable problem.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |