Subject: Re: Warnings in nfsv3 code--buggy gcc?
To: Allen Briggs <>
From: Per Fogelstrom <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/30/1996 10:25:44
> int foo()
> {
> 	u_quad_t	off;
> 	if (xxx) {
> 		do stuff
> 		off = something;
> 		use off
> 	}
> loop1:
> 	off = something;
> 	use off
> }
> Note that 'off' is u_quad_t in all cases.

Hmm.. tried your example on 2.7.2 (mips) without any complaints (-Wall).
But the above exapmple is maybe not represenative for the real code.

> I've run into the case you mention a lot, and that doesn't bother me--I
> can see how the compiler could miss a lot of reasonable cases.  In
> general, though, I believe in coding around at least this warning because
> this particular one has caught me on the (rare) occasion...

Well one could also consider it being bad coding, suceptible to break
if someone does changes to it in the future. Perhaps. So "fixing" it,
or "coding around" may be a good idea.