Subject: Re: New experimental ioctl's for serial driver
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.Stanford.EDU>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/23/1996 01:33:34
> Note: I'm not wanting to suggest that other serial port drivers
> should be modified to impliment this behavior. No, no, no, no.

I'd say that TTY ioctls that are "device-independent", e.g. the one
for setting the default termios state, either:
	(1) should be implemented for all drivers (preferably in a
	    driver-independent way, but that's another story), or
	    at least should be "to be be implemented" for all drivers,
	(2) if there isn't good enough reason to have it implemented
	    for all, it should not be implemented for any.

Don't waste time implementing some set of weird 'machine-dependent'
ioctls on one driver, and not another; if the feature is _needed_ (and
i'm not at all convinced that your 'default termios state' features
_are_ really needed, but probably could be), then it'll be needed in
other drivers, too.

> The problem is that MacOS does not echo bytes received on the serial
> port. Period. Upper layers of software will echo, but they have to
> deliberately do the echoing. HP DeskWriter printers take this into
> account and send status information to the host every 2 seconds.
> MacOS will never echo these bytes back out. Nor should NetBSD.

What did A/UX do?  NetBSD/mac68k is much, much more like A/UX than it
is like MacOS.

I would be very surprised if it behaves differently than NetBSD's
current behaviour, w.r.t. echo.  In fact, i think i'd be so surprised
that i'd ask the person who said that it did (if anybody does) what
settings, exactly, they used in NetBSD and in A/UX, and i'd pull my
mac out of the closet, boot it into A/UX (which, along with the
necessary small MacOS partition is the only OS installed), and try it
out.

cgd