Subject: Re: fdesc
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/18/1996 03:00:06
   > how about implimenting /dev/{stdin,stdout,stderr,tty} in the fdesc
   > code, but, including it always ?  such that fdesc is now mounted on
   > /dev/fd.

   In my opinion, that is a bad idea.  Having any pathnames, like /dev/fd,
   wired into the kernel strikes me as an extremely bad idea.  (Having /
   there seems okay; /sbin/init strikes me as unfortunate but pretty much
   unavoidable - and isn't there a boot flag that says to prompt for
   init's pathname?)

i think you misunderstood me.

currently, there is some code in the kernel to allow /dev/{stdin,..}
to work.  there is also some code in fdesc to allow the _same_ things
to work.  why not merge this code into the one, common, place, and
have _both_ things use the same code -- for the exact same service.

i've got no intensions about putting hardwired paths into the kernel,
else, i would have fixed TIOCCONS long ago  :)