Subject: Re: tty input flow control with a "silo"
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.Stanford.EDU>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/17/1996 10:54:08
wrstuden@loki.Stanford.EDU (Bill Studenmund)  wrote:
 > Say the mid-level buffer starts to fill up, so the hardware layer

Sort of unrelated to this, I'd like to see some mechanism whereby a person
can increase the size of the TTY buffers from userland...

[some of this is re-run info for charles as we've already discussed this]

I recently had to setup a machine at one of my customer sites to receive
a newsfeed via satellite... Effectively the data comes in at a pretty
steady 115.2k stream.  There is no handshaking (obviously, there's no
 way to tell the satellite to shut up) so basically the only things wired
up are RX and GND.  a DX2/66 with a 16550 couldn't keep up to 115.2kbps
without getting tons of Silo overflows... No ibuf overruns though.  So,
we went out and got a Hayes/ESP board with a 1k fifo and that solved the
overrun problems. However, I was still experiencing lossage so I bumped
up the size of the TTY buffers to 4k from 1k and my lossage disappeared.
It's been receiving 800MB of news a day since...

I just figured if people were already looking into the handling of high
speed serial data, I'd throw this in...