Subject: Re: fdesc
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@NetBSD.ORG>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/15/1996 07:50:37
>    Considering the problems with /dev/{stdin,stdout,stderr,tty} ...
>    I propose that it be changed to only supply
>    /dev/fd/<filed-descriptor> and be mounted on /dev/fd.
>
> I object (strongly) to simply castrating it.  It's fairly trivial to fix,
> and someone should just do it.

Interesting image, however I would liken it to removing a sixth digit
from a hand or foot.

To fix fdesc's representation of the device nodes it overlays, it
looks like we'll end up making those nodes exactly the same as the
ones it replaces.  If that is the case, why replace the nodes in
the first place?

	--JTC