Subject: Re: fdesc
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/13/1996 14:11:54
>> - what is the point of the fdesc file-system
> The primary purpose is to provide /dev/fd/<file-descriptor>.  Our
> fdesc filesystem is unusal that it also supplies
> /dev/{stdin,stdout,stderr,tty}.  This pretty much requires that the
> union filesystem be in the kernel and that fdesc be mounted over
> /dev.

Um, not in my experience.  "-t fdesc -o union" works just fine for me.
No need for -t union.

> Considering the problems with /dev/{stdin,stdout,stderr,tty} and the
> fact that fdesc requires the union filesystem to be useful, I propose
> that it be changed to only supply /dev/fd/<filed-descriptor> and be
> mounted on /dev/fd.  At the moment, I can't think of any reason why
> the present behavior is benefitial.

I agree with the basic idea here.  For all that it has problems, fdesc
for /dev/fd is a whole lot better than making /dev/fd a regular
directory populated with major-24 special devices.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu