Subject: Re: how kernel deals with suid scripts
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/09/1996 15:10:57
According to Travis Hassloch x231:

>I was thinking it'd be a cool idea to write an interactive chooser that
>provided description of all common kernel options.  This could embody
>wisdom far beyond that of mortal, err.. "normal" men. (or women).
>This would be more helpful than commenting GENERIC IMHO.

How about if it snarfs through the messages from a boot with a generic
kernel and then offers this as the default build set?  Have the other
devices available as "advanced" options.  That should cut the number
of questions quite a bit.  In fact, if a reasonable set of options can
be divined then it could very well just be a matter of running the
script/program and building/installing the new kernel.  Perchance even
the build and install could be wrapped up in the script as an option
(i.e. shall I build & install this new kernel for you?) with suitable
warnings that the machine will be rebooted

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.