Subject: Re: DMA beyond end of isa
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Antti Miettinen <amiettin@trshp.trs.ntc.nokia.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/05/1996 15:54:46
>for instance, should 'inw' and 'outw' byte-swap their arguments,
>and/or how should they be swizzled to poke into memory at the right
>place?   as i understand it, the need to byte swap on amiga ISA
>bridges is dependent on which particular bridge you're using.

It's even worse than that. I'm afraid I was not thinking straight when
I said that byteorder things are straightforward. The need for byte
swapping depends even on the driver and even in one driver some things
need to be swapped and some left alone.

For example in the if_ed driver there is one word read than needs to
be swapped if the NIC is not configured to m68k byteorder. Because
some clones might not handle m68k byteorder it's better not to use
it. Everything else read from the NIC (as bytes and as words) has to
be read as is, because we are dealing with raw data from the ethernet.

And then there are the interrupts.. anyone interested in implementing
kernel threads?

	-- antti