Subject: Re: DMA beyond end of isa
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.Stanford.EDU>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/05/1996 02:00:26
> [ RE: building new MI ISA code: ] Maybe
> iterative-refinement w/ occasional massive rewrites would be best?

you can't do it any other way...  but the question is, on whom do you
inflict those changes?

If you (or I) can do N massive rewrites myself, as i learn new things,
before putting it into the master source tree, is that better than
changing the interfaces that driver writers, etc., have to use, N
times?  I'd say so.

"there's a reason why i've been working on this code for > 6 months,
and it's not just that i don't have that much time to spend on it."
It's currently in its second "major revision," i'd say, and needs
at _least_ one more.

chris