Subject: Question about learning about kernel
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Travis Hassloch x231 <travis@EvTech.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/03/1996 15:50:08
Um, I'm really still a kernel newbie, and although I've read Bach's book,
I'm still a little overwhelmed by all the source to the kernel.
Oops s/Bach/Leffler/g
Anyhow, supposing I understand everything up until the system call itself,
where do I start looking once the trap into the kernel occurs?
Can anyone give me a pathname?
Also, from the other side, where is the entry point(s) for a interrupt
from a device?
Finally, any advice for a person who wants to just jump in and get their feet
wet?  Device drivers or kernel?  Where to start?  Thanks.

And I finally subscribed to the list, so now I'll get all the replies ;)
I have a program that's calling open(2), but the filename is on a mprotected
page, and the kernel's getting a page fault.. and returning an error.  This
is okay, but I'd like to find where this is happening so I can "see it work".

--
travis@evtech.com | An experiment in artificial dumbness gone incredibly awry
``I never thought I'd say this, but...  I've got to go get the nuclear bomb