Subject: Re: your mail
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@balvenie.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/23/1995 13:18:12
Chris G Demetriou writes:
> Somebody said: NetBSD NFS and NetBSD VM system don't work together
> right, because there's no unified buffer cache.  That's the biggest
> problem with the VM system.
>
> I said: No, it's not, because NetBSD's VM system crashes when you run
> out of RAM and swap.  _That's_ the biggest problem, and it affects
> _all_ environments in which NetBSD is run.  The NFS problem doesn't
> matter for some environments, because some just don't use NFS for
> much, if anything.

Isn't it sufficient to say "The VM system needs to be reworked"?

Now, who feels enough hubris to do the thing? Myself, I know I'm not
capable of it -- I'm not enough of a kernel guru. I can, however,
provide assistance, moral support, and single malt scotch (or, as one
person asked in private mail, good port (the beverage.))

Perry