Subject: Re: The right place for doshutdownhooks()
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@balvenie.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/20/1995 10:17:29
Chris G Demetriou writes:
> I think this is unreasonable.
>
> If the shutdown handlers shut down the console driver, then:
> 	(1) it's not guaranteed that all shutdown handlers can
> 		actually print things to the console, which
> 		i think is a big bummer, and,

Now I'm utterly convinced. The console has to be special cased in the
shutdown hook architecture, assuming it is ever necessary to halt
it. It cannot be done as part of the ordinary shutdown handlers simply
because they have no ordering constraints. It must be done as a
separate step.

> In what circumstance is it useful to have a shutdown hook disable
> the console?

In theoretical circumstances :-)

However, I understand Greg's desire to have the architecture be
clean should it ever come up.

Perry