Subject: Re: The right place for doshutdownhooks()
To: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@SJ.Xenotropic.COM>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/19/1995 23:00:26
On Mon, 20 Nov 1995 00:49:37 EST
 Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU> wrote:

 > This seems like an overdramatization.  If you want to rely on the
 > "halting" message as a landmark while debugging (it seems more likely
 > that you'd just set a breakpoint in ddb), you could easily add a
 > "transferring control to firmware " message just before transferring
 > control to firmware while you were debugging.  It might take you a
 > minute or two longer, but I don't see it making debugging harder.

Well, I might as well though my $0.02 worth in...

I don't thing that's an overdramatization at all.  In fact, just today I
was debugging the reboot sequence on the hp300.  DDB would have been
absolutely useless in this case.  In fact, I was _relying_ on seeing the
"System hated." message, etc.

Also, you can't assume a port has a working DDB.  There are also lots of
times where a working printf() can be infinitely more useful than a debugger.

 > I still side with the i386 port's positioning.

I dunno ... after having looked at the code today, the placement of
doshutdownhooks() looks bogus to me.

Jason R. Thorpe                                         thorpej@Xenotropic.COM

           Just me and my collection of obsolete computer gear(s).