Subject: The VM system
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/19/1995 16:33:32
There has been some recent comment on projects like fixing/improving

I'd like to humbly suggest that a slightly more important project,
both from a PR and a reliability/performance point of view, would be
fixing the VM subsystem once and for all. We all know it needs to be
done, and no one wants to do it -- largely because it is a
legitimately Very Big, Very Hard problem. However, so long as it isn't
fixed, the FreeBSD people can crow that they have a technical
advantage over us, and, far, far more importantly, things like core
leaks and inconsistencies in various operations will show up.

This is a volunteer effort, and its really not my place to suggest
that people HAVE to work on such a thing. However, I would like to
suggest that it would be a "good thing", and that it might make it
easier to kick off if there were a discussion of the "right
architecture" conducted for a while to motivate people.

I also volunteer to buy the implementation team for a new VM system a
bottle of very fine single malt Scotch whiskey (say, The Macallan), or
the comparable award of their choice. Although such a bottle is
expensive, I know it isn't worth nearly the amount of time and effort
that would go into such an effort -- I offer it only as a symbol of
the appreciation of the community for removing one of the last major
architectural advantages other operating systems can claim (multiple
processor support being perhaps the other remaining one.)