Subject: Re: AW: Disklabel ioctls (was Re: nore on disk ...)
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@beverly.rhein.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/18/1995 17:57:04
Martin Husemann (martin@laurin.teuto.de) wrote:
: > I was under the impression that there can only be 4 partitions in a DOS
: > partition table.  But I could be wrong.
:
: There is no real technical reason for this limit - DOS just uses it that way.
: In fact there is plenty of unused space in the partition block when you use
: the original DOS boot code. You could layout the partition table to contain
: 8 partitions (corresponding to the disklabel partitions) and have upto 4 of
: them visible to DOS.

Bad idea, would make our partitions incompatible with our boot systems
definition.

But DOS defines so-called extended partitions, that is, one of the
primary partitions can be defined as containing an arbitrary number of
secondary partitions. Or was it the other way round?

Regards,
	Ignatios