Subject: Re: nore on disk stats
To: Charles Hannum <Charles-Hannum@deshaw.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/14/1995 18:02:41
Charles Hannum writes:
> We're not talking about putting ASN.1 into the kernel.  I said
> `SNMP-like', meaning it takes the same sort of structured queries and
> the MIB is arranged in a tree structure.  sysctl() already does this.
> What it doesn't do is: 1) supply type information, 2) have iteration
> primitives, 3) have enough things implemented, and 4) conform to an
> existing layout.

I thought I made it clear that I thought the first three were good
things, and that I saw no reason that, for network stuff, 4) wouldn't
be acceptable, but it does seem a bit gratuitous to limit the sort of
information you can get to the fairly limited set of things the IETF
saw fit to put into the common MIBs.

The other notion, though, of having the queries go to an snmpd, or
something like one, still seems rather bad, and Jason has made the
interesting point that you can't run netstat or whatever on a kernel
dump if it uses sysctl(), and one does need to be able to do such things...

Perry