Subject: Re: now that we have fsdb, can we take kern/1043 and apply it?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/24/1995 17:22:31
On Mon, 23 Oct 1995 21:51:16 -0400  John Kohl wrote:

> Now that we have an fsdb tool in the -current tree, I would like to push
> for application of the patch in PR # kern/1043 (which removes the ability to
> unlink(2) a directory) to the -current sources.

Regarding PR kern/1043 code that runs as root and unlinks directories
is IMHO broken and will fail on many systems.

There is some precedent for John's proposed change though: on a
HP-UX 10.01 system I can only unlink empty directories on a Veritas
file system.  (I don't have a crash and burn AIX machine to test
IBM's journalled file system -- anyone?)

Since we're still using ffs/ufs I don't think we should make this
change unless fsck will fix incorrect link counts.  The AT&T fsck
has in my experience been unable to do this, and pulling out fsdb
seems like overkill as well as being a break with historical
practice.

Regards,

Giles