Subject: Re: suggestion on usage of ifdef's
To: Per Fogelstrom <pefo@enea.se>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/07/1995 10:02:40
> One example i recently ran into was in the disklabel program. Since my
> MIPS system bots off a dos partition on the hard disk i needed to change
> the disklabel program to use the dos partition table code. This code is
> conditional by the 'i386' define. If the ifdefs instead used some define
> related to the dos partition table the particular code would have been
> pulled in automagically. Instead of changing 'n' ifdefs.

I pretty much agree that conditionals should be based on things like
``ifdef DOS'' instead of ``ifdef i386'' where appropriate.   However,
that does open up the possibility of error if people forget to list
``options DOS'' in their i386 kernel config file.   My vote is still
to do what you suggest.

			       _MelloN_