Subject: driver logging via log()
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/08/1995 09:29:53
Currently I'm working on a new SCSI host adapter driver.  This is a
PCMCIA product so it's possible to have the cable disconnected from
it.  When the cable is disconnected from the card, a interupt is
raised and by checking a register I can determine that the cable
is unplugged.

Interupts get posted so fast, the machine will literally freeze while
the cable is unplugged.  Everything marches forward when the cable is
replaced (this is normal I'm sure).

This doesn't happen when I use printf()'s.  This seems to be due to the
way log() gives goodies to the syslog.

How do I use log() to log the warning, but not freeze the machine?
log every 1000th interupt?  sleep?  don't have an interupt handler :-)

Never remove the cable?