Subject: Re: NFS swap problems?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/23/1995 10:13:30
Excerpts from netbsd: 22-Aug-95 Re: NFS swap problems? der
Mouse@Collatz.McRCIM (2170)
tech-kern@netbsd.org

>> At work, I have a Sun 3/260 running diskless (because I haven't
>> installed the latest-greatest sun3 boot code yet) that, under heavy
>> load (well, building the tree), hangs solid from time to time.  I
>> noticed this at home on my 3/50 before I installed a disk on it.

> My experience is a little different.  I have a -3/150 (basically, a
> -3/160 with a smaller cardcage), which I was running diskless off my
> NeXT.  When building the tree, it would lose randomly.  I mean things
> like make mysteriously complaining it was unable to allocate memory.
> Like nm coredumping in the "ar `lorder *.o | tsort`" phase of library
> building.  Like inexplicable and unrepeatable errors from cc.

I have 2 i386-PCs running diskless NetBSD-1.0 for a while.
When I build a new kernel, sometimes I have different
strange effects:
1. Some of the object files have length 0 -> linker complains.
2. The kernel binary contains zeroed-out Pages.
A second try works in most cases.

It doesn't hang or crash.

regards
Matthias