Subject: Re: PCM8 vs. PCM16/LINEAR?
To: John Brezak <brezak@apollo.hp.com>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/06/1995 09:42:24
> True. But Sun really didn't get things right. They work ok for the limited
> audio capabilities of their workstations, but the PC audio cards today
> are way beyond that. In the NetBSD mixer design, there was a alot of thought
> put in for flexability and capability for compat. I think it has both. I
> looked at many mixers, and thought that the Windows one really had the
> most flexability. The Sun one, well it was for a Sun.

	Which Sun? The current model Sun's like the 4 and the 5 have much
	more capable sound system than the SS1/SS2 type systems.

	The audio interface in Solaris has been extended to handle the
	additional capabilitys; i.e. stereo CD+ sound record/playback and
	internal snarf from the CDROM on the 4/5's.

	Interested partys may want to look at the current Solaris 2.4 interface
	rather than some old ratty StunOS 4.x one build for anciant SS? series
	boxes...

		-Rob