Subject: Re: PCM8 vs. PCM16/LINEAR?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/03/1995 09:59:55
>Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 23:36:39 -0400
>From: John Kohl <jtk@atria.com>
>
>Oh, and you forgot an unsigned linear 8-bit encoding in your table
>(that's the native format on sb and sb-pro.  The newer cards might also
>like 16-bit unsigned linear?)

I noticed while rereading the AD1846 datasheet last night that the
1846's 16-bit linear mode is signed, while its 8-bit linear mode is
unsigned.  All of the other codecs are probably the same way.
Aaaarrrgh.

So we add

#define AUDIO_ENCODING_ULINEAR 4

to fill up that unsightly hole between AUDIO_ENCODING_LINEAR (3) and
AUDIO_ENCODING_ADPCM (5).

That reminds me.  There are multiple ADPCM formats out there, which
does AUDIO_ENCODING_ADPCM represent?  IMA, G.722 (not sure about that
#), Creative Labs?  A bit academic because no one uses it yet.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));