Subject: PCM8 vs. PCM16/LINEAR?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Kohl <jtk@atria.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/13/1995 08:20:27
While working on the GUS audio driver, I've been making assumptions
about what PCM8 and PCM16 are supposed to mean for audio data formats.

What is the difference between the two?  I don't think it's just sample
size, because I recall seeing support in other drivers for both 8- and
16-bit data in at least one of the formats.

My working hypothesis has been:  PCM16/LINEAR is for 8- or 16-bit signed data;
PCM8 is for 8-bit unsigned data.  There is no support for 16-bit
unsigned data.  ULAW is for 8-bit Sun-style logarithmic encoding.  ALAW
is for some format I haven't tackled yet.

==John