Subject: Adaptec 1452C on a P120 won't boot
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Felix Lechner <lechner@eecs.harvard.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/12/1995 17:18:25
I just bought a P120 with an Adaptec 1542.  I got an ISA controller
because I need all my PCI slots for something else.  Trying to boot, I
get the following error:

sd0: could not mode sense (4), using ficticious geometry
panic: cannot mount root

I use a translated geometry all along, 64h 32t 1028c, which is what
the Adaptec card seems to like best.  I browsed through the sources
and saw that the command failing is a scsi_scsi_cmd() with MODE_SENSE.
My new machine is faster than my other 486DX2's with AHA1542's, and
I was wondering if that could be a timeout problem.

Have any of you seen that happen before?  I am really sad because I
have no idea what I am doing wrong.

The problem occurs only when I boot off the hard drive.  I can boot
from a floppy no problem and mount the partitions then.  Is that
MODE_SENSE command ever used after the machine has booted?

My kernel is from June 3.

Thanks,

Felix