Subject: Re: i386 isa interrupt latency
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/12/1995 12:16:03
On Wed, 12 Jul 1995, Chris G Demetriou wrote:

> to my mind, if a "multiple input" routine is going to be created, it
> should completely replace the old "single input" routine.  it's not
> very much extra work at all, to pass a pointer and a constant, than to
> pass a variable, and it relieves the need to maintain two both
> functions.
>
> that's a much more 'sweeping' change, though...

	But it need not be any more disruptive...

	Once a "multiple input"	routine is working it would be trivial to
	write a "single input wrapper" routine that uses it - then the
	source tree can be gradually moved across.

	Or better still, put the "multiple input" interface in now as a
	wrapper to the existing code, and tell everyone to start using it
	and that the 'old' interface will be going away in the future...

	Ok - so I've just stated the obvious :) - but I agree with Chris
	that it would be the Right Thing to do... (and should be planned
	for now).

		David

 D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME) +44 171 477 8186  {post,host}master  (abs)
Network Analyst, UCS, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
 <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - try telnet mono.city.ac.uk >>>