Subject: User-level SCSI driver
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andreas Gustafsson <gson@clinet.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/24/1995 21:41:04
Does anyone have a user-level SCSI device driver working under NetBSD?
I'm trying to command a National Instruments SCSI/GPIB interface box
from an i386 machine running NetBSD 1.0, with an Adaptec 1542 SCSI
host adapter, but I'm missing a device driver that lets me send
arbitrary SCSI commands to a non-disk, non-tape SCSI device.

The 1.0 kernel source tree contains an "uk" driver which seems to be
just the thing I need, but it's not in conf.c nor in any of the sample
config files.

I tried adding the "uk" driver to my NetBSD 1.0 configuration (and
fixing the unbalanced parentheses (!) on next-to-last line of
scsi/uk.c).  The SCSI device is now successfully attached at boot time
and I can open it as /dev/uk5 just fine, but to actually do something
useful with it I need a working SCIOCCOMMAND ioctl, too.
Unfortunately, the code for supporting SCIOCCOMMAND in scsi_ioctl.c is
commented out in NetBSD 1.0.

In NetBSD-current, SCIOCCOMMAND seems to be supported (based on
reading the source), but the syntax error in scsi/uk.c is still there.
Can anyone tell me just how much else is still missing from -current
to make things work?  For example, is anyone actually using the
SCIOCCOMMAND ioctl successfully?
--
Andreas Gustafsson
gson@clinet.fi