Subject: Re: Why the partitioning should stay the same
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/31/1995 17:30:03
According to Andrew Cagney:

>> According to CGD:
>>
>> you don't even need a seperate sd0a vs sd0b, if you swap on to a vnd
>> device in the file system.
>
>Perhaphs this is what should be done as the default `simple'
>installation (i.e. one file system, no swap space and swap to a file,
>sick but simple ... :-).  With a unified VM/FS cache the overhead might
>even be minimal.  If, however, the overhead was significant then I think
>that swapping to a raw device would be a prefered choice.

A while ago I attended a tutorial by Dr. McKusick and took the
opportunity of putting the question of raw disk vs fs swapping to him.
His basic response was that the difference between the two methods was
well below the noise threshold of all the other things going on in the
kernel so the question was moot.

I am not saying that "God hath spake" and made it right but what
Dr. McKusick said does gel with my experiences on Suns - i.e. that the
difference was so small I couldn't tell the diff.

"Also, it takes a lot longer to get up North ..... The slow way"
        - "Clever Trevor" Ian Drury