Subject: Re: Why the partitioning should stay the same
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/30/1995 21:11:43
> (I suspect you know :-) The original reason for pointing this method out
> came from the Mac groups discussion about their future partitioning
> schema.  Briefly, the two choices were:
>
> 	a.	the PC solution of UNIX partitions within a native
> 		(DOS) partition.  Then some hybrid schema to get
> 		access to the other native partitions.
>
> 	b.	use the native partition directly

except (b) is _NOT_ an adequate description of the second possibility.

to be complete, it must account for the possibility of using
_multiple_ native partitions, and the necessity of having to create
a disklabel, at least for internal use.

The interesting bit about sharing disks with other file systems
really isn't how to partition the UN*X space, it's how to partition
the UN*X space best _AND_ (perhaps) allow use of the other partitions
on the disk.

cgd