Subject: Re: Why the partitioning should stay the same
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/30/1995 08:25:06
> What I'm trying to put forward is:
>
> Firstly, is there harm in adding such a feature to the NetBSD tool box?
> Personally I believe there are real advantages as it would greatly
> simplify the very common (new user) task of configuring a system so that
> it has just:
>
> 	o	one file system
> and	o	one swap swap area
>
> within an existing DOS or MAC disk partition.

except, you can do that already.

e.g. from a machine i've got an account on:

% df
Filesystem  512-blocks    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a       340870  296006   27820    91%    /
/dev/sd0g      2909016 1021508 1742056    37%    /a
% /usr/sbin/pstat -s
Device      512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/sd0b       174296    66440   107856    38%    Interleaved

and there's no reason to think that you _have_ to have a /a; i.e. it's
there because the person who configured it wanted it to be.

you don't even need a seperate sd0a vs sd0b, if you swap on to a vnd
device in the file system.

In other words, you can already do it, and to add _another_ way to do
it adds no benefit and consumes space and effort.

cgd