Subject: Re: Why the partitioning should stay the same
To: Louis A. Mamakos <louie@TransSys.COM>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/30/1995 15:12:58
Excerpts from mail: 29-Jan-95 Re: Why the partitioning sh.. "Louis A.
Mamakos"@Trans (1080)

> If you can swap to a vnode, then you get these features without the
> really scary parts of the HP/UX approach.  I think you should be able
> to do this with the vn driver, but I've never tried.

Your right (I'm about to try it as I need 200mb of swap to compile a
program -O3 :-)

> This approach works pretty well on my NeXT box.  I've got a 1.2GB
> disk, one partition, with a 32M swapfile which was create just after
> the mkfs.  Thus, it's preallocated and block are contiguous.  It can
> also grow dyanamically which is both good and bad.

FYI, the other advantage (I should have mentioned) with swapping to the
end of a file system was that it involved fewer overheads when compared
to swapping from a file.

		Andrew