Subject: Re: Why the partitioning should stay the same
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Louis A. Mamakos <louie@TransSys.COM>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/29/1995 21:01:29
> FYI, HP/UX (at least) includes support for swapping at the end of a file
> system.  Thus, when installing you:

[...]

> At first sight it might seem scary (certainly was for me :-)  It turns

It scared me too!

> out, however, that this feature really simplifies the install of work
> stations.
>
> 	o	You're only using one patition for
> 		both FS and swap.
>
> 	o	you only have one file system
> 		[this could be a good thing or
> 		a dangerous thing, while not
> 		`optimal', it is certainly simple :-]
> 		[FYI, for backups, to avoid dumping
> 		all of the FS, HP/UX includes a tar style
> 		equivalent to dump]

If you can swap to a vnode, then you get these features without the
really scary parts of the HP/UX approach.  I think you should be able
to do this with the vn driver, but I've never tried.

This approach works pretty well on my NeXT box.  I've got a 1.2GB
disk, one partition, with a 32M swapfile which was create just after
the mkfs.  Thus, it's preallocated and block are contiguous.  It can
also grow dyanamically which is both good and bad.

louie