Subject: Re: How to support clone devices (i.e. /dev/tcp)
To: Gordon Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/15/1994 16:52:46
[ On Tue, November 15, 1994 at 12:02:37 (EST), Gordon W. Ross wrote: ]
> Subject: How to support clone devices (i.e. /dev/tcp)
>
> Ugh!  That's really unfortunate.  I guess they couldn't figure out:
>
>   cc -o the_objs.o -Bstatic -lX11 ... -Bdynamic -lsocket -lnsl

You've got to be kidding.  Anyone who's even tried it before knows very
well that you have to stay as far as possible from "-lsocket" and
especially from "-lbsd" on almost all SysVr4 ports.  They are buggy to
no end, and the socket layer on top of STREAMS is known to be rather
inefficient in many ports.  It isn't really safe to do anything but
stick to the native stuff.

Not to mention that the STREAMS interface is far "nicer" (perhaps more
elegant would be one way to describe it) than the socket interface, at
least IMHO, and that of many others.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>