Subject: Driver config order ?
To: None <tech-kern@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/25/1994 07:35:07
This weekend at some stage I want to get my PCMCIA modem working. I
have got the code from Linux as a starting point and some of the PCMCIA
docs. Overall the whole thing should be not too difficult, expect for...

If I want to implement it simply (anything else wuold be over m
head I suspect) then I would just have a pcmcia device which is initialised
with a hardwired config. My "problem" will be the ordering of probes
and attach routines etc.  Are they done in the order of Major number
or the order that devices appear in the kernel conf files or what ?

In this case I have to guarentee that the PCMCIA is initialised
before the com driver, so that the com probe/attach routines will
find the modem.

** Or (in the long run) might it be a cleaner idea to implement
another bus controller type, for future use with other type of
devices ? This would be a cleaner solution, but I don't think my
skills are up to this :-( Yet. How much more difficult is it to
implement a bus/cotroller ?

Like:
	controller pcmcia0
	device     com0    at pcmcia? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector comintr

And what about config.new schemes ?

I know I sound confused, thats because I am,
--
Peter Galbavy				e-mail: P.Galbavy@wonderland.org
Wonderland				  work: peterg@demon.co.uk (soon)

	I like my food, I am what I eat, therefore I like myself