Subject: Re: kernel vs boot-program
To: None <brezak@apollo.hp.com, davidb@melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
From: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/14/1994 22:57:09
>What's wrong with multiple ./obj.$ARCH links in the source tree?  Works fine
>for me.  eg:
>	/usr/src/bin/cat/obj.i386 -> /usr/obj.i386/bin/cat
>	/usr/src/bin/cat/obj.icm3216 -> /usr/obj.icm3216/bin/cat

perhaps it is time for someone who actually DOES compile out of
one source tree on multiple platforms to step forward.

if you are compiling on multiple platforms, you certainly are
not going to share the same /usr partition. therefore i nfs-mount
/usr/src off my one machine (i386) onto the other two (sparc, hp300).

Each of the machines have seperate /usr/obj directories (or /usr/obj
is actually a symbolic link to where there is more diskspace available).

actually, the place where i do have lots of diskspace is on the same
partition as i store my sources.. hahaha. So
	sparc:/usr/obj -> i386:/usr/src/obj-sparc
	hp300:/usr/obj -> i386:/usr/src/obj-hp300
	i386:/usr/obj -> i386:/usr/src/obj-i386

I haven't yet found any truly useful places to use the obj.$ARCH stuff,
with the possible exception of libkern.. which I suspect could just
as easily be done with the standard obj method.

>The .mk rules can handle the choice of obj directories in the same way that
>they choose the appropriate cross-compilers/etc.

note: i don't really care about cross compilers.